Saturday, October 9, 2010

Gifts Presentation

Hi everyone! I hope you had a pleasant week, the one that brought satisfaction and contentment because you had done your best and benefited from it. I had a tiring but indeed a fulfilling week although the outcome or rather what I hope to achieve did not materialize. So how could it be a fulfilling week, you may want to ask since the objective had not been achieved. Well, let's put it this way: in every project that we planned and carried out whether the project is a failure or a success, we learn a valuable lesson from the process. For me, the experience is my richness - a wealth of learning experience and information.


My school had planned months ahead to have a Hari Kokurikulum (Co-Curriculum Day) and the person whom we invited was the Menteri Besar (the highest person in authority in the state). We went through careful planning; ran everywhere to get proper feedback on protocols and spruced up the school, spending like crazy (of course the school looks bright and cheerful now). We got people to come to teach us and to guide us, and we also went to the relevant people for advice, careful that we would not miss a step or careless. We had meetings after meetings and phone calls after phone calls to one another to make sure that we would not miss out anything. We put our students to months of training for various presentations, organised the prefects over and over again and we even advertised the good news on the FACEBOOK. The response from our students was fantastic.


Alas, just a week from the day, we got the reply that he was unable to come and there was no representative too. It was confusing because a day before we received the faxed letter we received a call asking for the Menteri Besar's text (his speech) to be emailed over and when the very next day we received the faxed letter, it was a hard hit for all. We could not understand the dynamics behind this. We were all so disappointed and we consoled each other. For me, it was a great learning experience, something that no textbook would be able to teach.


I learn that whatever we have planned, there are many small holes to be plugged and these small holes can really sapped one's energy. I learn that many mistakes could be made and they have to be rectified with the help of your team mates. There should be no arrogance and that there must be team spirit. It was tough because my efficient partner fell ill just after the first round of running. It left just me and my Co-curriculum supervisor to do the running and we had to make sure the rest understood our plans and the need to do it well and to believe that we could pull it through. Well..... the rest is history. No tears spilled but a great lesson learned, not a negative lesson but a positive one.


I am taking a break now, although my heart is heavy because the objective is not achieved. If the objective has been met, the school will see some changes that will bring relief to the students. We would be able to build a sheltered walkway for the students to walk into the school and a large sheltered open hall for them to assemble. At present, the students walk in the rain and sun to come into the school and the worst part is; the afternoon session students have no place to assemble. They sit by the corridor in the hot and rain. School discipline is weak as no amount of canning and shouting could be gotten across as students are everywhere and it is impossible to reach out to them using the PA system because they assemble all over the school. The boys one side and the girls another side and the active ones.......... it is up to your imagination. Sigh.....


And so today I will like to share with you on how to present your gifts. What has gifts presentation got to do with what I have shared so far? Well, life is still beautiful despite a painful result. How could be it beautiful? It is beautiful through a positive thinking. Simple boring gifts can be 'make-up' to look wonderful if you put in effort and some money and of course careful planning. It brings cheer to the receiver.


Let me share with you on how I present some of my gifts. I plan carefully and I take the time to really sit down and do it. I want my receiver to know I care. I want my receiver to know that whatever I give, I give from my heart, not because of obligation, not because I want to please, not because I want a favour. No! Absolutely no.


This is a small basket, slightly bigger than a large man's palm. I spruced it up and put in 3 kiwi fruits for a friend. Of course the content might be a wee bit too little but the presentation is captivating. Would you not agree with me?






Look at the three lady birds, the two carrots and the cabbage. They are all made from jumping clay. It took time but the outcome is wonderful, right? I gave this away as a pencil holder.




Yeah, this is log cake but made from towel. If I were to just gave the towel log cake, the presentation would be plain, would you not agree with me?





I have used my friendship bear to present this gift to a birthday girl. Inside the basket were lots of chocolate bars. In this way, after the receiver has eaten all the chocolates, the basket could be used for other purposes.


We need to give gifts that not only carry a message of love but the gift must leave a lasting effect. It must give another purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment