Saturday, October 23, 2010

Tips on Floral Arrangement

Last month was my sister-in-law's birthday and it was tough trying to think of what to give her as a gift. Her house has everything. Finally I decided that I would give her a floral arrangement to put in her office. Fortunately it was a right move because her office was bear as compared to her house.


This was when I learned another tip. If you have read the earlier post on floral arrangement, you will understand what I am saying now. Well, I went to get my leaves and my flowers. And the presentation is here for you to see.




Tip No 1 : Always get extra blooms. Don't make the foolish step like me in saying "Yeah, I have enough" at the shop and then when you go home, you find yourself in a tight spot. Your arrangement does not come through as there are many big gaps in between the flowers that need to be filled up. Don't forget we don't own a shop that we can easily reach out to a stalk to fill the gap. So through painful lessons, I learn that after estimating the number of stalks I need, I always make sure I buy an extra. For example if you have estimated that you would only need three, don't just buy 3 but buy an extra stalk.


Tip No 2
: Always buy in odd numbers. Please don't ask me for the reason. The arrangement does not go well with even numbers.


Tip No 3
: You can more than 1 type of leaves but in this arrangement which is for a small space in the office, I have used only one type.





Tip No 4: Take note of the first photo, look at the leaves. They are long and overbearing. At first I couldn't understand why my arrangement looked awful. I got the right number of leaves and flowers stalks, the height was proper (flowers taller than vase : 3/4 higher) but..... what was wrong? Then I knew it, I had to trim the leaves to a shorter length. Bravo, the whole awful arrangement suddenly became so beautiful and mind you, I couldn't help admiring my own creation. Ha! Ha! Ha! You know, no one is so kind as to share their knowledge with you on how to arrange flowers. We all have to learn the hard way and spent tons of money but even if we pay to learn, we are still coming out with the money, right? It takes guts to learn on your own but the satisfaction is tremendous. So I would encourage you to take up this hobby.


Tip No 5
: Buy more fillers. I think my arrangement still lacks fillers but since I had come home and time was running short, I had to made do with what I had in hand. Now, do you understand what it means by buying extra? Sometimes the shop can be so far, it is really difficult to go back all the way to the shop to buy an extra stalk. So on the wise side, just buy extra. Well, another lesson learned.



I think I should add the pink fillers at the bottom. The top view of the arrangement is good but the side view has a slight imbalance, right?


Well, I hope you will have a wonderful time learning up this beautiful and satisfying art.

No comments:

Post a Comment